Cayin N3Ultra: an Entry-level Portable DAP that Delivers a Complete Vacuum Tube Audio Experience
May 20, 2024 at 3:08 AM Post #781 of 790
I think to some degree those that buy the really expensive DAP's are more about the bling than the technical capabilities. There was this tiny Portable audio dealer I bought some stuff from (has since moved into a larger location). He sold A&K DAP's and he told me he would sell 7 or 8 a week like clockwork. He said it was mostly Bay Street (financial district) guys who bought the A&K DAP's so money was not an issue. They would walk in and simply ask for the most expensive DAP he sold no questions asked.

It was what their peers bought so they bought them to with no real thought about sound quality. It was more about the status symbol of owning something crazy expensive like their coworkers. You can't complain about something you don't understand or haven't taken the time to compare to alternative DAP's.

I read Twister's comment with interest, but I can't respond to his discussion directly because the topics involve my competitors.

On the other hand, Twisters raised his concern based on the FORUM discussion norm. To my understanding, the "Bay Street (financial district) guys who bought the A&K DAP's so money was not an issue" don't show up at the HeadFi forum to discuss the pros and cons of their DAPs. so their behaviors don't explain Twister's observations.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 20, 2024 at 3:40 AM Post #782 of 790
I read Twister's comment with interest, but I can't respond to his discussion directly because the topics involve my competitors.

On the other hand, Twisters raised his concern based on the FORUM discussion norm. To my understanding, the "Bay Street (financial district) guys who bought the A&K DAP's so money was not an issue" don't show up at the HeadFi forum to discuss the pros and cons of their DAPs. so their behaviors don't explain Twister's observations.
I get that but this is something I experienced and it is not a direct complaint about A&K DAP's, merely another perspective on why some people buy DAP's. I am simply pointing out that there are other motivations to buying a DAP that having nothing to do with audio capabilities.

I did not mean to offend anyone, simply making a observation.

May 20, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #783 of 790
Sorry for the misunderstanding, but I was trying to make a different point in my post. It's my observation from a reviewer's perspective about the comments I read from consumers who spend 6-7x more on their DAPs in comparison to N3U and they don't mind a more primitive UI, lack of wi-fi/streaming, or poor battery life. That is why I was curious that maybe consumers who buy more expensive DAPs have different expectations and are less critical of the features?! Yes, their opinion matters, and I was trying to understand why some consumers of higher-end DAPs are less critical than those of budget entry-level DAPs like N3U. That's all :)
What I can say is that some of us who spend a lot on audio are used to things being a pain in the ass. To be honest, the PITA factor sometimes scales directly with price. As an electrostat owner I would know. Convenience and higher priced audio products don't often go hand in hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back