Cayin N7: A Voyager of Unexplored Frontier
May 10, 2024 at 12:54 PM Post #1,861 of 1,873
Friends,

for almost the same price (maybe €100 difference) which of these 2 would you get and WHY?

Sony NW-WM1AM2 Uncapped version
X
Cayin N7 .

I posted this same question in both threads to get mixed opinions.
Important information: I will not play DSD. Only PCM and stream regularly to discover new artists and albums to add to the collection.
I would pick N7 any day over WM1AM2. At whatever price. I feel N7 as a more dynamic and spacious sounding DAP of the two.

May 10, 2024 at 1:21 PM Post #1,862 of 1,873
This sounds strange, here in Germany the Sony has a price point of 1400 Euros while last month I payed for my N7 about 1900 Euros.
BTW the German Cayin Audio Distribution GmbH is about 30 minutes away from my home town (by car). Very friendly and obliging people there :)
Go for the N7.

May 10, 2024 at 3:35 PM Post #1,863 of 1,873
I would pick N7 any day over WM1AM2. At whatever price. I feel N7 as a more dynamic and spacious sounding DAP of the two.
This sounds strange, here in Germany the Sony has a price point of 1400 Euros while last month I payed for my N7 about 1900 Euros.
BTW the German Cayin Audio Distribution GmbH is about 30 minutes away from my home town (by car). Very friendly and obliging people there :)
Go for the N7.
Thank you friends!! I'll take a good look at what I'm going to do. The N7 is tempting!!

May 11, 2024 at 9:30 AM Post #1,864 of 1,873
Hi :)

Will you be able to verify / refute my feelings, but it seems to me that the sound has been changed again in the latest firmware: the upper midrange has become less aggressive and has become more linear. Don't you think?

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 5:25 AM Post #1,865 of 1,873
Hi :)

Will you be able to verify / refute my feelings, but it seems to me that the sound has been changed again in the latest firmware: the upper midrange has become less aggressive and has become more linear. Don't you think?
... is that a good thing to you? I actually like how it sounds now and I haven't made the firmware update yet....

May 13, 2024 at 5:44 AM Post #1,866 of 1,873
For me - yes. At the moment, the upper middle has become less forced, a little less than it. The middle has become smoother. But it probably seems to me, that's why I asked the users if they felt it or not. :)

May 14, 2024 at 5:27 AM Post #1,867 of 1,873
Mayne Andykong

N7 Firmware v1.6 Update

1. Add new PEQ functions under the Audio Setting menu
  2. Other bug fixes and optimizations.
Announcement Link: https://en.cayin.cn/drive/9/18/639.html

Firmware Update

Cayin will release firmware updates to enhance and optimize N7 as deemed required. Users can update the firmware through OTA or local updates. To manually download the firmware, please visit the SUPPORT center on our official website and please make sure you select “Personal Audio” on this page.

Attention
  • Please make sure the device has not less than 30% battery power, otherwise please charge up the player before you proceed to a firmware update.
  • Please make sure your N7 has more than 2GB of storage before the firmware update.
  • Do not operate the device during a firmware update.
  • During a firmware update, the device will turn off and reboot automatically. If the device does not reboot 3 minutes after being turned off, please press and hold the POWER BUTTON for 3 seconds to boot up the device, the device will resume the firmware update process.
  • Please delete the firmware file from the TF card or internal storage after you have completed the firmware update process

OTA Update Procedures
  1. Connect the N7 to the internet via Wi-Fi.
  2. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “Wireless Update”.
  3. Press “Check for updates”, and the system will check for new firmware.
  4. Press “Download” when your DAP detects new firmware. The N7 operating system will download the new firmware as instructed.
  5. Press “Install now” after the firmware is successfully downloaded.
  6. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will proceed to install the new firmware.

Local Update Procedures
  1. Download the latest firmware update package from the SUPPORT center of Cayin’s official website, you should receive a compressed file as cayin_N7_XXXX.zip which will be used for the N7 firmware update.
  2. DO NOT decompress the zip file.
  3. Copy the firmware file into the root directory of the N7 internal memory or TF card, and insert the TF card into the N7 before you proceed to the next step.
  4. Enter the Settings menu, and then proceed to “System” -> “Wireless Update”.
  5. Press the “┇” icon on the top right corner of the screen.
  6. Select “Local updates” in the pop-up menu.
  7. Proceed to the directory where the firmware file is located, and then select the firmware file.
  8. Press “INSTALL NOW”.
  9. Press “OK” at the pop-up dialogue, and the system will proceed to install the new firmware.
Hi Andy,

Can you confirm as another user commented that the sound signature may have changed (or improved?) from this firmware update?

Because I actually really like how it is at the moment and I am trying to decide if I should upgrade to latest firmware, I would love to have PEQ but not sure if I want to sacrifice the sound signature that I really like now... is there a way to backroll to previous firmware v1.5 after upgrade? your comment will be much appreciated...

Last edited:
May 14, 2024 at 5:29 AM Post #1,868 of 1,873
Mayne Andykong

Hi Andy,

Can you confirm as another user commented that the sound signature may have changed (or improved?) from this firmware update?

Because I actually really like how it is at the moment and I am trying to decide if I should upgrade to latest firmware, I would love to have PEQ but not sure if I want to sacrifice the sound signature that I really like now... your comment will be much appreciated...
My friend also noticed the changes:

"Yesterday some kind of update arrived and the sound seemed to become even lighter. In some places it is a plus, but on some compositions there is not enough physicality."

May 14, 2024 at 6:44 AM Post #1,869 of 1,873
My friend also noticed the changes:

"Yesterday some kind of update arrived and the sound seemed to become even lighter. In some places it is a plus, but on some compositions there is not enough physicality."
... that's no good... I like how the Cayin sounded natural with good body in the notes .. may hold off this firmware upgrade...

May 14, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #1,871 of 1,873
Mayne Andykong

Hi Andy,

Because I actually really like how it is at the moment and I am trying to decide if I should upgrade to latest firmware, I would love to have PEQ but not sure if I want to sacrifice the sound signature that I really like now... is there a way to backroll to previous firmware v1.5 after upgrade? your comment will be much appreciated...
Cayin didn't change the sound signature of our DAP through firmware, not with the recent N7 firmware update, not with any N7 firmware update, and in fact, not with any DAP firmware update

we have maintained this policy since we launch our first DAP N6, we have received numerous requests to provide alternate audio signature/preferences in the past 10 years (almost) through firmware and we always turn them down.

There is only one occasion that the sound signature was affected by firmware, when we need to change the audio algorithm or DAC setting in order to fix a bug. These are very rare occasion, we have tried our best to get things right during R&D to minimise these kind of bug, and I can assure you that the recent N7 firmware does not involve any changes like these.

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 14, 2024 at 10:18 AM Post #1,872 of 1,873
1000015051.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back