HiBy R8 II - HiBy's New High-End DAP
May 17, 2024 at 4:33 AM Post #631 of 642
@Joe Bloggs Do you know whether after the DARWIN and DARWIN II wallpapers on RS6 and RS8 there also is a DARWIN-MPA type of wallpaper floating around somewhere?

Attachments

• Darwin.jpg
    Darwin.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 0
May 17, 2024 at 11:36 AM Post #633 of 642
May 20, 2024 at 12:42 AM Post #634 of 642
Thanks I was in A all the time. AB with linear phase sharp rolloff sounds best out of R8ii.

Few questions for experts here...
  • Does "Customized Preset" switch show and disappear after you select "Darwin Controller" in settings? Bug or something useful?
  • I tried "0th order hold NOS" filter (or no filter perhaps? :sweat_smile: ) but it doesn't play certain FLAC files, even basic 16/44.1. Any info out there on this?
So one month on and I'm still experiencing lots of issues with the 0th order filter which is my preferred filter. @Ojisan and @gLer seemed to have observed the same issues. Many tracks won't play with 0th order and often if I've come back to the player after a while and want to listen the track will show it's playing on the timeline but no output until I switch to Darwin Default. Re-conencting headphones or restarting Spotify or Tidal doesn't fix the issue. I contacted Hiby support several times, they promised to contact the technical team but no fix provided as of yet.

As I see it 0th order is the only true NOS implementation. Darwin Ultra preservers OS and NOS qualities and so doesn't sound like NOS to my ears although appreciate some people will prefer Ultra to any other filter.

This issue occurs several times a day for me and only fix is to switch to Darwin Default or restart the device. I've factory reset the device twice and I'm running the latest build. Maybe I have a faulty unit although others have clearly observed the same issue so maybe a software implementation problem.

Some might want to trivialise the problem but this filter was a consideration when I purchased the R8 II and it's currently not performing as advertised.

If anyone has any insights or advice regarding 0th order issues would be great to hear from you. Separately I've PM @Joe Bloggs - maybe he's the best person to ask.

May 20, 2024 at 2:28 AM Post #635 of 642
So one month on and I'm still experiencing lots of issues with the 0th order filter which is my preferred filter. @Ojisan and @gLer seemed to have observed the same issues. Many tracks won't play with 0th order and often if I've come back to the player after a while and want to listen the track will show it's playing on the timeline but no output until I switch to Darwin Default. Re-conencting headphones or restarting Spotify or Tidal doesn't fix the issue. I contacted Hiby support several times, they promised to contact the technical team but no fix provided as of yet.

As I see it 0th order is the only true NOS implementation. Darwin Ultra preservers OS and NOS qualities and so doesn't sound like NOS to my ears although appreciate some people will prefer Ultra to any other filter.

This issue occurs several times a day for me and only fix is to switch to Darwin Default or restart the device. I've factory reset the device twice and I'm running the latest build. Maybe I have a faulty unit although others have clearly observed the same issue so maybe a software implementation problem.

Some might want to trivialise the problem but this filter was a consideration when I purchased the R8 II and it's currently not performing as advertised.

If anyone has any insights or advice regarding 0th order issues would be great to hear from you. Separately I've PM @Joe Bloggs - maybe he's the best person to ask.
I also have no clue why the playback will fail with a certain filter but not others.

I will have the actual unit in hand tonight. Perhaps I will be able to find out something after that.

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 20, 2024 at 8:51 AM Post #636 of 642

Can you confirm for me that
1. Once you switch to Darwin Default and sound resumes, switching to 0th order hold again the sound will still be there?
2. And then as long as you keep playing nonstop there's no issue.
3. Once you press stop for more than say 5-10 seconds, playback will fail
4. --only on tracks of 44.1 and 48kHz.

?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

May 20, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #637 of 642
Can you confirm for me that
1. Once you switch to Darwin Default and sound resumes, switching to 0th order hold again the sound will still be there?
2. And then as long as you keep playing nonstop there's no issue.
3. Once you press stop for more than say 5-10 seconds, playback will fail
4. --only on tracks of 44.1 and 48kHz.

?
That's correct! This is exactly what's happening. Can you see this behaviour for yourself now?

I will just add there are lots of tracks on Tidal that simply won't play using 0th order and there are other tracks where if you start on Darwin Default you could switch to 0th order mid track and it will play but then if you later go back to the same track you'll have to go back to Darwin Default as 0th order will fail.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 9:51 AM Post #638 of 642
That's correct! This is exactly what's happening. Can you see this behaviour for yourself now?

I will just add there are lots of tracks on Tidal that simply won't play using 0th order and there are other tracks where if you start on Darwin Default you could switch to 0th order mid track and it will play but then if you later go back to the same track you'll have to go back to Darwin Default as 0th order will fail.
there are tracks on tidal that won't play on the filter even if you switch it in mid-track? Example?

May 20, 2024 at 10:37 AM Post #639 of 642
there are tracks on tidal that won't play on the filter even if you switch it in mid-track? Example?
I'm away for a week without my R8 II. Sorry, I wanted to get this off my chest in the hope it might be resolved by the time I get back. I'll be sure to post a bunch of tracks that don't play using 0th order. If you scroll up to my first post today I quoted @Ojisan and he was describing the same issue - some FLAC files won't play.

Putting this to one side are you able to replicate what you initially asked me to confirm? The four points you described is exactly how I'm generally experiencing the issue.

May 20, 2024 at 10:40 AM Post #640 of 642
I'm away for a week without my R8 II. Sorry, I wanted to get this off my chest in the hope it might be resolved by the time I get back. I'll be sure to post a bunch of tracks that don't play using 0th order. If you scroll up to my first post today I quoted @Ojisan and he was describing the same issue - some FLAC files won't play.

Putting this to one side are you able to replicate what you initially asked me to confirm? The four points you described is exactly how I'm generally experiencing the issue.
Yes, I was describing what I experience

May 20, 2024 at 11:18 AM Post #642 of 642
Yes, I was describing what I experience
Hopefully you can patch this. Would be great to get this fixed.

A completely non related issue, when Darwin Default is selected the customised preset tab shows its active. At least going from 0th order to Darwin Default. Although I'm fairly certain it just shows its active but it's in fact not. This might confuse some people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back