HiBy RS8 flagship Darwin R2R Android DAP -- Class A -- news and impressions thread
May 12, 2024 at 1:57 PM Post #3,406 of 3,413
There is a problem I encounter with the RS8. I used the default Android Clock app to set an alarm to notify me that I need to get off the train. The alarm stopped the music playback which is what I expected and works well, but after turn off the alarm, music can be played but can not be heard on my 4.4mm headphone out with my Apple Music.

May 12, 2024 at 3:28 PM Post #3,407 of 3,413
There is a problem I encounter with the RS8. I used the default Android Clock app to set an alarm to notify me that I need to get off the train. The alarm stopped the music playback which is what I expected and works well, but after turn off the alarm, music can be played but can not be heard on my 4.4mm headphone out with my Apple Music.

Similarly, I was listening to Tidal, then jumped to Youtube to watch something. I came back to Tidal and started my music again and no sound/music was output. I think I had to close the Tidal app and open it again? This has happened a couple times — a minor annoyance, but an annoyance nonetheless.

May 19, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #3,408 of 3,413
I haven't spent much time comparing or drafting impressions between the RS8 and M17, but your inquiry was a catalyst for me to dust off my M17. My impressions will be less of which one between the two is best as IEM/headphone and DAP synergy in my experience plays an important role. As you'll note in my sig, I own a couple of DAPs as each have their unique sound characteristics and technical features – I tend to not double up DAPs with same DACs and weigh AMP signature highly important.

DAP impressions are evaluated using an Orioulus RAOSound audio selector with Cayin CS-44C44 8-wire hybrid copper interconnects (24 core OFC, 8 core 6N SCC). Today's IEM, FiR Xe6 and Eletech OTL (Ode to Laura, copper) cable. RS8 has over 200 hours of listening time and 160 hours for M17.

I volume matched both DAPs and the M17 was set to over-headphone gain (battery mode) / vol 28 to match RS8's Turbo mode, medium gain, no Darwin controller presets or MSEIB, vol 28.

Overall the RS8 has a natural tonality with fuller body giving weight to the notes, analog sound and texture – the Xe6 is a warm sounding IEM and the RS8 doesn't add any additional warmth. Upper frequencies and smooth. Depending on track, vocals are intimate with accurate imaging and layer of instruments. With IEM synergy, the RS8 is musically foot tapping-head nodding engaging.

Whereas the M17 is revealing with neutral tonality which comes off as dry, treble and upper mids are cooler – It's not harsh or bright as most associate with ESS DAC as I think Fiio has done exceptional work to implementing the ESS Pro DAC – perhaps THX 788+ AMP contributes a bit to this. Sound stage comes off with less depth and vocals are more forward. Plugged into DC power mode with enhanced over-headphone mode selected, I hear a tad more warmth in the mids. Personally I find this mode transforms the M17 but at the loss of portability.

Currently the RS8 is the GOAT quickly followed by 3MAX SS and N8ii, DX312 is my travel and M17 assigned as headphone DAP:

RS8 + Xe6 / EXT / EVO / Indigo / Audeze
3MAX + Xe6 / EXT / EVO / Indigo / Audeze
N8ii + Xe6 / EXT / EVO
M17 + EXT / EVO / Audeze

What I enjoy the most with RS8 is its overall natural tonality analog sound and texture where it brings out the best features of each IEM. The sound customizations and features are a bonus and adds to the RS8's flexibility, including long battery life and playtime.

DAP selection comes down to personal tastes and use cases (sound signature, etc), collection of headphones and IEMs. If you're looking for a "reference" sound, I recommend M17 but you should also consider iBasso's highly regarded DX320 which offers more flexibility with AMP sigs and value - BTW iBasso makes some incredible AMPs and DAPs that punches above their price points – a DX320 (standard with AMP11mk2s) with AMP14 (dual tubes) or AMP12 price wise would be close to M17 and would be a more engaging portable listen.

IMG_0452.jpeg
I did a search on RS8 and now the prices have dropped I got one. I am impressed by the sound for this price. The RS8 certainly makes it sound more musical with the Turbo mode on and high gain. I like this a lot and think it's great value. I ran some low grade IEMs on it and it made it certainly more interesting :)

May 19, 2024 at 11:35 AM Post #3,410 of 3,413
Price drop?Where?

May 19, 2024 at 2:56 PM Post #3,411 of 3,413
i think he means second/third hand stuff, though i think RS9/RS8 II would be able to outdo this and i sincerely dont know what else it could improve

May 19, 2024 at 5:44 PM Post #3,412 of 3,413
Price drop?Where?
New was originally HK$25K now about HK$20K in DMA HK

i think he means second/third hand stuff, though i think RS9/RS8 II would be able to outdo this and i sincerely dont know what else it could improve
The Darwin Architecture is something very unique for RS8. Exactly, it's hard to improve further on this since there is so much you can tweak on this to tune to your own taste. I just want to say this DAP is one of the best releases of DAPs in the last 2 years and so underrated. Just great value at the moment.

May 20, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #3,413 of 3,413
New was originally HK$25K now about HK$20K in DMA HK

The Darwin Architecture is something very unique for RS8. Exactly, it's hard to improve further on this since there is so much you can tweak on this to tune to your own taste. I just want to say this DAP is one of the best releases of DAPs in the last 2 years and so underrated. Just great value at the moment.
Thanks. From 25k to 20k is a clear decrease.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back