USB-C to 3.5mm adapters (DAC) - Let's find the best
May 13, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #6,496 of 6,504
can someone recommend a good usb c to lightning usb cable?
Most likely you will need a USB C to Lightning OTG cable. Meenova makes these and I have used them with success.

If you are in the US and need a longer version of this cable than normal (which are short) send me a PM. I paid for $20 each for two of them and only need one. My version is at least 2 feet long.

May 13, 2024 at 9:26 PM Post #6,497 of 6,504
Get yourself the iBasso CB19 cable and a powerbank and the sound quality of your RU6 will enter a whole new stratosphere. Ditto for any other USBC dac.
The CB19 or the one that Akliam makes ... For the dongles it will work with 👍🏼👍🏼 - RU6.

Consider buying a Sonic scientific Quicksilver supercapacitor filter to even smooth out the battery as a power source even more.
The company has a Facebook page and you can see what the USB C2C cable does and what the USB a does either one of them will come out of the power brick and go to your CB19

May 14, 2024 at 7:41 AM Post #6,499 of 6,504
May 14, 2024 at 11:21 AM Post #6,500 of 6,504
I am sure the DD HiFi cable will work. But you can buy plenty of good Lightning to USB-C cables OTG for about $20. Longer cables are harder to find but short ones are easily found. These cables are binary; either they work or they don't. Never had any issues with any of my OTG cables for lightning.

I don't know about you but for me the whole point of dongles is portability. Fiddling with special power supplies etc. is overkill and tethers you to a desktop. I have the Cayin RU7; I really can't imagine improving on that with tweaks. It already sounds great. If you want to fool with tweaks you would want the second generation Apple CCK (camera connecting kit). I have an extra of those lying around also; PM if interested.

Last edited:
May 15, 2024 at 6:03 AM Post #6,501 of 6,504
One question for the experts if you know.
I get the lovely TP50. It is working wonderful with my HD600 high gain 4.4 bal.cable.

Now I own and an AKG k701 as it is a budget can and I like very much it's soundstage but is hardwired to SE and I can only use 3.5mm or 6.3mm.

I connect them to TP50 3.5mm is there any issue if I set to High or Low Gain? I try with both but I do not think is working properly. Is there any issue here should I check something else?

Moreover I connect my TP50 to my external amp a Heed CanAmp that I use to drive my K701. I have a cable of 3.5mm-->2 rca so as to connect my TP50 3.5mm to the two RCA of my Amplifier. I test Low/High Gain of the dac and is working very well in both cases without issues. Is there any issue here too? There was any distortion or something strange here.

Should I always connect my dongle to amp so as to drive properly the K701 or it is fine to drive them with my dongle only?

I am not so good on sensitivities and what needs to be done.

Thanks for all

May 16, 2024 at 12:59 AM Post #6,502 of 6,504
TimeEar BTE-8 Bluetooth DAC is now available on Taobao & other Chinese marketplace for $49. Dual CS43131 with balanced out! Some specs:
  • Output: 3.5mm, 4.4mm
  • Wireless Chipset: Qualcomm QCC5125
  • DAC: Dual CS43131
  • Battery Capacity: 500mAh
  • Battery Life: 12 hours
  • Codec: SBC, AAC, aptX, aptX-HD, aptX-LL, LDAC, LHDC, HWA
  • Gain switch: Three stages
  • Equalizer: Three presets
So... I had the TimeEar BTE-8 for a couple weeks now, bout time I share my thoughts lmao (repost from discovery thread)

First of all, this has to be the nicest feeling dongle in the hand, regardless of price point. It has a smooth anodised aluminium casing WITH rounded edges. Its finishing is buttery smooth and nice to the touch but it's more susceptible to scratches. It makes the DC04pro feel cheaper in hand cuz of its rough anodised surface and jagged edges. I'm pretty sure you could tell just by looking at the pic that it's well built.

Sound wise, it is more resolving than DC04pro but it looses out big time in tone and timbre: lower mids is lean and the treble is not the most natural. Soundstage is also noticeably wider than DC04pro but vocals and instruments at the center sound further away - kinda like RU7. I disliked how the RU7 sound so it's the same with this.

The only problem I have with this bluetooth dongle has is how it handles incoming source from multiple devices. It doesn't know what to do when there's audio coming from more one device, cuz it'll just jump between both devices, making a weird jitter noise until either one stops playing. This could be fixed with a software update but I don't think it will ever be.

12381913.jpg

May 16, 2024 at 2:34 PM Post #6,503 of 6,504
I am sorry if this comparison has already been posted, but I can find nothing. I recently purchased JHA Layla CIEMs and they are delightful. I am looking for a portable DAC dongle to use with my iPhone and Mac Book Air when not listening on my desktop system. A friend leant me his FiiO KA3 which performs nicely but I am interested to hear from anybody who has directly compared the sound of the KA3 with the relatively new AK HC4.....any input you can provide?? THANKS!!

May 19, 2024 at 4:30 AM Post #6,504 of 6,504
my initial impression of the VE Odo is that it may be the sleeper budget dongle of the year. tho w/o an amp, the KT02H20 chip can easily drive all my gear with room for more gain. the Odo leans bright-ish with a great soundstage and sound quality is impressive for a sub-$10 dongle. I'll have to give it a few days to gauge battery drain but really enjoying it so far

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back