Cayin HA-300MK2 (2022) TOTL Transformer coupled Direct Heated Triode Tube HeadAmp (Page 91)
May 10, 2024 at 3:24 AM Post #6,331 of 6,472
In good amps rolling tubes often feels like getting an entirely new amp.

May 10, 2024 at 3:32 AM Post #6,332 of 6,472
In good amps rolling tubes often feels like getting an entirely new amp.
When the amplifier is very transparent, yes. :beerchug:

Cayin Stay updated on Cayin at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

http://en.cayin.cn/
May 10, 2024 at 7:59 AM Post #6,333 of 6,472
I’ve read some about the ZMF Aegis. It seems to be a great amp for headphones alone, but HA-300 is better for speaker users like me. Interestingly, even American users don’t want “oddball” 22DE4. Since the actual manufacturer of the Aegis is Cayin, I strongly believe they will learn the lesson.

May 10, 2024 at 8:47 AM Post #6,334 of 6,472
Is there a need to adjust the amplifier if the 6SN7GT tubes have been replaced (I am currently using Melz 6H8C)? If yes, how is it done?

Recently I began to notice that in the position of the impedance control "M" and "H", the sound of the amplifier becomes more hoarse if the volume control in the position for more than 3 o'clock. With a further increase in volume, distortion increases, but the volume almost does not increase. I have never seen such an effect before. Previously, in the position of the impedance regulator "M" and "H", the sound was the fastest and clearest.

Any thoughts on this?

May 10, 2024 at 9:02 AM Post #6,335 of 6,472
Is there a need to adjust the amplifier if the 6SN7GT tubes have been replaced (I am currently using Melz 6H8C)? If yes, how is it done?

Recently I began to notice that in the position of the impedance control "M" and "H", the sound of the amplifier becomes more hoarse if the volume control in the position for more than 3 o'clock. With a further increase in volume, distortion increases, but the volume almost does not increase. I have never seen such an effect before. Previously, in the position of the impedance regulator "M" and "H", the sound was the fastest and clearest.

Any thoughts on this?
Have you kept the stock tubes? Try them for the comparison.

May 10, 2024 at 9:11 AM Post #6,336 of 6,472
I’ve read some about the ZMF Aegis. It seems to be a great amp for headphones alone, but HA-300 is better for speaker users like me. Interestingly, even American users don’t want “oddball” 22DE4. Since the actual manufacturer of the Aegis is Cayin, I strongly believe they will learn the lesson.
For me, a quad of 22DE4 is superior to 274B etc. It allows you to mix and match, a lot better for tube rolling. Also getting totl 274B can be really expensive, especially if you have 2 of them in addition to already expensive 300Bs and drivers. So I'm actually glad we have this setup.

May 10, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #6,337 of 6,472
Have you kept the stock tubes? Try them for the comparison.
I tried standard tubes and other Melz tubes. The effect does not change.
For this reason I decided to ask a question.

The frustrating thing is that this hoarseness effect gets worse over time. The first symptoms were noticed only in the "H" impedance position. Now this problem has spread to the "M" impedance position. In position "L" there is no such problem yet.

May 10, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #6,338 of 6,472
I tried standard tubes and other Melz tubes. The effect does not change.
For this reason I decided to ask a question.

The frustrating thing is that this hoarseness effect gets worse over time. The first symptoms were noticed only in the "H" impedance position. Now this problem has spread to the "M" impedance position. In position "L" there is no such problem yet.
Well, it seems that driver tubes are not the source of an issue. Maybe power tubes or anything else? I’m not that knowledgeable to define.

May 10, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #6,339 of 6,472
For me, a quad of 22DE4 is superior to 274B etc. It allows you to mix and match, a lot better for tube rolling. Also getting totl 274B can be really expensive, especially if you have 2 of them in addition to already expensive 300Bs and drivers. So I'm actually glad we have this setup.
Yes, now these rectifiers are cheap although not easy to get. If I had at least one spare set of them, I most likely already bought the HA-300. My current speaker amp can use different rectifiers available worldwide. That’s why I’m not going to purchase another one.
Anyway we’ll see how the sales of the Aegis are going to decide what the “common hi-end audio buyer” does prefer:)
Anyone buying 300b amp should be ready to spend and spend…
Buy nice or buy twice.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 9:36 AM Post #6,340 of 6,472

Any thoughts on this?
Can you describe your complete audio chain? from DAC to headphones? I assume you didn't change anything upstream when you changed the 6SN7GT to Melz 6H8C (when you noticed the problem)?

May 10, 2024 at 9:40 AM Post #6,341 of 6,472
Can you describe your complete audio chain? from DAC to headphones? I assume you didn't change anything upstream when you changed the 6SN7GT to Melz 6H8C (when you noticed the problem)?
You are not the only one to notice this. This is probably a better way of explaining what i used to try and get at. I hear this distortion at 14:00 on many songs and a single notch back and all is perfect. Its almost like the valves are overloaded by signal in some sense. For lower volume music i might get a notch or two more before i notice it again, but can never push beyond. Hence my proclamation of hearing distortion and not being "quite" loud enough :) I have learned to live with it and back off a touch. Happens with all tubes i have used. Its pretty loud, but not always loud enough :) I always assumed it was the limit of the tube. I'm using a hard to drive Susvara so i think this issue is much more apparent with low sensitivty headphones. The susvara used to utterly crush my Pathos Aurium.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #6,342 of 6,472

Any thoughts on this?
Could it be that you have changed input signal (PCM to DSD) or anything else?

May 10, 2024 at 11:52 AM Post #6,343 of 6,472
You are not the only one to notice this. This is probably a better way of explaining what i used to try and get at. I hear this distortion at 14:00 on many songs and a single notch back and all is perfect. Its almost like the valves are overloaded by signal in some sense. For lower volume music i might get a notch or two more before i notice it again, but can never push beyond. Hence my proclamation of hearing distortion and not being "quite" loud enough :) I have learned to live with it and back off a touch. Happens with all tubes i have used. Its pretty loud, but not always loud enough :) I always assumed it was the limit of the tube. I'm using a hard to drive Susvara so i think this issue is much more apparent with low sensitivty headphones. The susvara used to utterly crush my Pathos Aurium.

I was concerned when he said, "With a further increase in volume, distortion increases, but the volume almost does not increase."

This sounds like an input sensitivity issue to me, in other words, his input level is too high, forcing the amplifier to reach the maximum rated output at the 3 o'clock position. When he pushes the amplifier beyond that point, he is clipping the amplifier, which that explains "the amplifier becomes more hoarse" and he can hear noticeable distortion if he pushes the volume further.

In short, input sensitivity can be understood as the voltage required at the input signal to drive the amp to maximum rated output. In normal circumstances, this should happen when the volume knob is at maximum position. Google the input sensitivity of an amplifier and you should find a lot of discussion to explain situations that @DMITRIY R is running into (HERE and HERE).

May 10, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #6,344 of 6,472
1715312353869.png

Holy crap. I got loaner sylvania 6sn7 from my friend. WTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF. The amp is way above DNA stratus now? How is this possible ??????????????
If you like the Sylvania house sound, there's A LOT of different variations. But I suggest trying out 6F8G from the early 40's (needs an adapter). They have a leaf on the side, rather than the later "S" branded tubes.

Also round plate 6J5 (quad with adapters), another great one. Detailed and even without losing too much richness.

And lots of people like the 6SN7W tall bottles, but they can be expensive and I haven't splurged. I like Sylvania's 'cause they tend to be cheap :)

May 10, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #6,345 of 6,472
I was concerned when he said, "With a further increase in volume, distortion increases, but the volume almost does not increase."

This sounds like an input sensitivity issue to me, in other words, his input level is too high, forcing the amplifier to reach the maximum rated output at the 3 o'clock position. When he pushes the amplifier beyond that point, he is clipping the amplifier, which that explains "the amplifier becomes more hoarse" and he can hear noticeable distortion if he pushes the volume further.

In short, input sensitivity can be understood as the voltage required at the input signal to drive the amp to maximum rated output. In normal circumstances, this should happen when the volume knob is at maximum position. Google the input sensitivity of an amplifier and you should find a lot of discussion to explain situations that @DMITRIY R is running into (HERE and HERE).
That sounds reasonable. And it might explain why the limit seems a littleless with different tubes. Its hard to judge with susvaras as they always want MORE!!!! I dont like to hear it and always back off ... interesting, at 14:00 i never hear the distortion - I also changed from medium gain to low gain and i think that helped allay the distortion a touch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back