Chord Electronics - Hugo 2 - The Official Thread
May 9, 2024 at 6:33 AM Post #22,502 of 22,527
I was talking about something else, much smaller probably without a battery.
I don't remember Rob ever posting that he was working on a dongle sized dac.
Remember that when the Mojo 1 first came out, much was made about the dac performing 500x the processing of a typical competitor, and this was a big reason for the mojo getting hot and the only 8h battery life.
If you tried to cram that into a dongle sized like the dragonfly, the electronics would overheat quickly, so would never make it to market.

May 9, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #22,503 of 22,527
I don't remember Rob ever posting that he was working on a dongle sized dac.
Remember that when the Mojo 1 first came out, much was made about the dac performing 500x the processing of a typical competitor, and this was a big reason for the mojo getting hot and the only 8h battery life.
If you tried to cram that into a dongle sized like the dragonfly, the electronics would overheat quickly, so would never make it to market.
I just leave you this link :

What I meant starts at 1.24.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 10:12 AM Post #22,505 of 22,527
The new product will be revealed today I believe.
From the What HiFi show page:
Chord Electronics
The British brand always has a shiny new product or two to reveal (last year's Ultima Integrated amp certainly caught our eye) and we're told there will be three new products unveiled this year. Two new analogue products – the Suzi pre/power amplifiers – are confirmed, while a "groundbreaking" new digital product (see below) will be shown in its pre-production prototype form, with five FPGAs (field programmable gate array DAC architecture) at its core, we're teased. Founder John Franks and digital design consultant Rob Watts will both be at hand throughout the show to give insight into the products, too.

So no dongle:
https://www.head-fi.org/showcase/the-chord-quartet-mscaler-anticipation-thread.27215/

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 12:09 PM Post #22,506 of 22,527
So did anyone at Munich actually demo/see/touch the Suzi?

Edit: further pictures: https://www.facebook.com/chordelect...newUNquyqAd2QSZE3828pxwq8m1qnyg2BYLZccTwCFnPl

Pretty pumped for this, I must say.

441541290_785449430348878_7884279213274951226_n.jpg

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 1:00 PM Post #22,507 of 22,527
So did anyone at Munich actually demo/see/touch the Suzi?

Edit: further pictures: https://www.facebook.com/chordelect...newUNquyqAd2QSZE3828pxwq8m1qnyg2BYLZccTwCFnPl

Pretty pumped for this, I must say.

441541290_785449430348878_7884279213274951226_n.jpg
I suspect that they are pre-production prototypes, so intended for show instead of demoing to the public at the moment.

I was thinking of ordering a Bertii (have they started shipping yet?) for my TT2, but the Suzi could do a similar job for my Hugo 2.
I could still use my 2Go/2Yu as the streamer for the TT2.

However it looks like no need to make a decision until the autumn.

May 9, 2024 at 1:27 PM Post #22,508 of 22,527
I suspect that they are pre-production prototypes, so intended for show instead of demoing to the public at the moment.

I was thinking of ordering a Bertii (have they started shipping yet?) for my TT2, but the Suzi could do a similar job for my Hugo 2.
I could still use my 2Go/2Yu as the streamer for the TT2.

However it looks like no need to make a decision until the autumn.
Yes, hard to say as there's been no reports. I would expect the final version to be colour matching, though.

One thing I note is the optical and coax would seem to be out of use with Suzi, which is a bit of a shame. I hope the USB implementation is indeed an improvement from the stock Hugo 2 performance.

Further details on specs here - https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/suzi

May 9, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #22,509 of 22,527
Yes, hard to say as there's been no reports. I would expect the final version to be colour matching, though.

One thing I note is the optical and coax would seem to be out of use with Suzi, which is a bit of a shame. I hope the USB implementation is indeed an improvement from the stock Hugo 2 performance.

Further details on specs here - https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/suzi
On the Chord news page it says 'Designed, engineered and manufactured in Britain, the Suzi Pre and Suzi will be formally launched in the autumn, where full details, specifications and pricing will be published.', so we can't be 100% sure of the specs yet. Presumably they may still change.

May 9, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #22,510 of 22,527
My Hugo 2 portable is distorting when approaching higher volumes and even at the Line-level mode (when you start device with the holding down the crossfeed button).

Do I need to send in the device for repair? Or like I need to change the battery?

Finally got around to replacing the 18650 batteries. Quite the adventure and learning experience. Hugo 2 uses two 18650-sized batteries with a built-in battery protection unit.

The original 18650-batteries only hold 2600mAh & are only rated for 1.6A. Meaning...you can pretty much replace the Hugo2 batteries with any mAh capacity 18650-battery.....because any battery will cover for the minimal 1.6-ampage the Hugo2 needs. So I chose the biggest size 18650-batteries can go...3500mAh.

I replaced them with two LG MJ1 18650 3500mAh 10A Batteries (from IMRBatteries website for $5.99 usd each. LG refers to the Korean conglomerate tech company).

-------------
--‐----------

The LG batteries don't come with a BMS/battery protection circuit. So I had to buy one for it:

ACEIRMC 1S 3.7V 10A 6MOS 18650 Charger PCB BMS Protection Board for 18650 Li-ion Lithium LiPo Battery Cell (10pcs) https://a.co/d/5L9aEkn

This circuit fits to the side of the battery so it does not make the battery longer, and easily fit inside the Hugo2 when turned inwardly.

I also needed a two-pin ribbon plug for the battery to connect to the Hugo2:

elechawk PH 2.0 Connector Pre-Crimped Cable Kit Compatible with JST-PH 2.0mm for Battery JJRC H36 Blade Inductrix Tiny Whoop Arduino mkr1010 MKR Zero (Female&Male Connector&Wire) https://a.co/d/0T26A7K

Some double sided tape to stick the battery inside the Hugo2 and not have it shift:
iFixit Tesa 61395 Tape - 2 mm https://a.co/d/9JYi1tW

Heat-resistant tape for sticking things onto a warm battery while its in use:
A-SUB Heat Resistant Tape 25mm, No Residue, Heat Transfer Tape for Sublimation, High Temperature Tape for Heat Press, Sublimation Tape, 108ft https://a.co/d/aGTJaYx

SIDE-NOTE. You'll also need a soldering-kit & a micro-welder kit for battery zinc-strips. Solder and zinc-strips probably come with the kits.
You'll also want some acidic Flux to prepare the surfaces for soldering.

Steps to do:
  1. PREPARING THE BMS CIRCUIT RIBBON CABLE PLUG THAT CONNECTS TO THE HUGO2: Connect the crimped free-end of the 2-wires by pushing them into the plastic 2-pin plug (later on double-check this plastic 2pin plug with the one inside the Hugo2 to see if you matched the red wire in the correct spot).20240511_084043_remastered.jpgCopy the red wire position in the plug like that of this picture (this is the original battery's plug)
  2. Cut and expose 2-millimeters of the red and black wires. Add flux to the exposed end of the wires.
  3. Add some Solder to prep the now wires' exposed end. Apply flux again.
  4. Solder the prep'd ends of the ribbon cable wires to the battery protection circuit. Red's end to the positive spot marked w/ P+ and Black's end to the negative spot marked w/ P-.
  5. PREPARING THE BMS CIRCUIT FOR THE PART THAT CONNECTS TO THE 18650 BATTERY. Micro-weld/Solder a zinc-strip to the Battery Protection Unit's marked for its positive-side B+.
  6. Micro-weld/Solder a zinc-strip to the Battery Protection Unit's marked negative-side at B-.
  7. PREPARING THE 18650 BATTERY. Stick heat-resistant tape to protect the side of the battery you intend to use.
  8. PUTTING ON THE CIRCUIT ONTO THE 18650 BATTERY: Tape the BMS to the side of the battery that was covered with tape. Make sure the B- side of the circuit is facing the (-) side of the battery. Otherwise turn it around.
  9. Micro-weld or Solder the free end of the zinc strip that's connected to the (B-) side of the circuit, to the (-) side of the battery.
  10. Cover the exposed metal surfaces with lots of heat-resistant tape.
  11. Micro-weld or Solder the free end of the zinc strip that's connected to the (B+) side of the circuit, to the (+) side of the battery.
  12. Cover the exposed metal surfaces with lots of heat-resistant tape.
  13. Cover the whole circuit/battery together, with more heat-resistant tape. Covering all surfaces (Or use some shrink wrap).
  14. KEEP THE BATTERIES ASIDE AND WATCH IT FOR A GOOD HOUR TO SEE NOTHING HAS GONE WRONG........does the battery look like it's getting warm? Something went wrong and quickly pull off the BMS circuit and start over again. Make sure to do this calmly and not accidentally make metal parts touch other metal parts. Use a plastic eating knife to quickly cut through your tape.
  15. If no problems after some time, then continue.
  16. INSERTING THE BATTERY INTO THE HUGO2. Disassemble the Hugo2, by unscrewing the screws on the bottom. And keep them aside.
  17. Put aside the button/marble pieces that fall out when you open the casing.
  18. Gently remove the ribbon cable of the old batteries from their female socket.
  19. Wiggle the old 18650 batterries till they come off their old double-sided tape.
  20. Place 3 pieces of double-sided tape at the location of the old ones.
  21. Stick the new 18650/BMS batteries at that location. Make sure the protection circuit is not facing superficially or the wall of the Hugo2. Let's put that taped-up bump we created earlier.....to be facing the empty inward/center space of the hugo2.........if the bump is in the way, things won't fit when re-assembling.
  22. Connect the new ribbon cable (double-check if you put the red wire in the same position of the one you removed just now. If not, pull out the end of red-wire from the plastic plug and swap it with the black one).
  23. REASSEMBLE THE HUGO2 UNIT.
  24. TURN ON.

While at it, mind as well remove dust from the inside. And spray some Electrical Contacts Cleaner on the volume-control ball if it has been skipping lately.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 1:38 AM Post #22,511 of 22,527
Finally got around to replacing the 18650 batteries. Quite the adventure and learning experience. Hugo 2 uses two 18650-sized batteries with a built-in battery protection unit.

The original 18650-batteries only hold 2600mAh & are only rated for 1.6A. Meaning...you can pretty much replace the Hugo2 batteries with any mAh capacity 18650-battery.....because any battery will cover for the minimal 1.6-ampage the Hugo2 needs. So I chose the biggest size 18650-batteries can go...3500mAh.

I replaced them with two LG MJ1 18650 3500mAh 10A Batteries (from IMRBatteries website for $5.99 usd each).

-------------
--‐----------

The LG batteries don't come with a BMS/battery protection circuit. So I had to buy one for it:

ACEIRMC 1S 3.7V 10A 6MOS 18650 Charger PCB BMS Protection Board for 18650 Li-ion Lithium LiPo Battery Cell (10pcs) https://a.co/d/5L9aEkn

This circuit fits to the side of the battery so it does not make the battery longer, and easily fit inside the Hugo2 when turned inwardly.

I also needed a two-pin ribbon plug for the battery to connect to the Hugo2:

elechawk PH 2.0 Connector Pre-Crimped Cable Kit Compatible with JST-PH 2.0mm for Battery JJRC H36 Blade Inductrix Tiny Whoop Arduino mkr1010 MKR Zero (Female&Male Connector&Wire) https://a.co/d/0T26A7K

Some double sided tape to stick the battery inside the Hugo2 and not have it shift:
iFixit Tesa 61395 Tape - 2 mm https://a.co/d/7DGBreo

Heat-resistant tape for sticking things onto a warm battery while its in use:
A-SUB Heat Resistant Tape 25mm, No Residue, Heat Transfer Tape for Sublimation, High Temperature Tape for Heat Press, Sublimation Tape, 108ft https://a.co/d/aGTJaYx

SIDE-NOTE. You'll also need a soldering-kit & a micro-welder kit for battery zinc-strips. Solder and zinc-strips probably come with the kits.
You'll also want some acidic Flux to prepare the surfaces for soldering.

Steps to do:
  1. PREPARING THE BMS CIRCUIT RIBBON CABLE PLUG THAT CONNECTS TO THE HUGO2: Connect the crimped free-end of the 2-wires by pushing them into the plastic 2-pin plug (later on double-check this plastic 2pin plug with the one inside the Hugo2 to see if you matched the red wire in the correct spot).
  2. Cut and expose 2-millimeters of the red and black wires. Add flux to the exposed end of the wires.
  3. Add some Solder to prep the now wires' exposed end. Apply flux again.
  4. Solder the prep'd ends of the ribbon cable wires to the battery protection circuit. Red's end to the positive spot marked w/ P+ and Black's end to the negative spot marked w/ P-.
  5. PREPARING THE BMS CIRCUIT FOR THE PART THAT CONNECTS TO THE 18650 BATTERY. Micro-weld/Solder a zinc-strip to the Battery Protection Unit's marked for its positive-side B+.
  6. Micro-weld/Solder a zinc-strip to the Battery Protection Unit's marked negative-side at B-.
  7. PREPARING THE 18650 BATTERY. Stick heat-resistant tape to protect the side of the battery you intend to use.
  8. PUTTING ON THE CIRCUIT ONTO THE 18650 BATTERY: Tape the BMS to the side of the battery that was covered with tape. Make sure the B- side of the circuit is facing the (-) side of the battery. Otherwise turn it around.
  9. Micro-weld or Solder the free end of the zinc strip that's connected to the (B-) side of the circuit, to the (-) side of the battery.
  10. Cover the exposed metal surfaces with lots of heat-resistant tape.
  11. Micro-weld or Solder the free end of the zinc strip that's connected to the (B+) side of the circuit, to the (+) side of the battery.
  12. Cover the exposed metal surfaces with lots of heat-resistant tape.
  13. Cover the whole circuit/battery together, with more heat-resistant tape. Covering all surfaces (Or use some shrink wrap).
  14. KEEP THE BATTERIES ASIDE AND WATCH IT FOR A GOOD HOUR TO SEE NOTHING HAS GONE WRONG........does the battery look like it's getting warm? Something went wrong and quickly pull off the BMS circuit and start over again. Make sure to do this calmly and not accidentally make metal parts touch other metal parts. Use a plastic eating knife to quickly cut through your tape.
  15. If no problems after some time, then continue.
  16. INSERTING THE BATTERY INTO THE HUGO2. Disassemble the Hugo2, by unscrewing the screws on the bottom. And keep them aside.
  17. Put aside the button/marble pieces that fall out when you open the casing.
  18. Gently remove the ribbon cable of the old batteries from their female socket.
  19. Wiggle the old 18650 batterries till they come off their old double-sided tape.
  20. Place 3 pieces of double-sided tape at the location of the old ones.
  21. Stick the new 18650/BMS batteries at that location. Make sure the protection circuit is not facing superficially or the wall of the Hugo2. Let's put that taped-up bump we created earlier.....to be facing the empty inward/center space of the hugo2.........if the bump is in the way, things won't fit when re-assembling.
  22. Connect the new ribbon cable (double-check if you put the red wire in the same position of the one you removed just now. If not, pull out the end of red-wire from the plastic plug and swap it with the black one).
  23. REASSEMBLE THE HUGO2 UNIT.
  24. TURN ON.

While at it, mind as well remove dust from the inside. And spray some Electrical Contacts Cleaner on the volume-control ball if it has been skipping lately.
That is great help, but pictures will help further, video for the process will be super.

May 11, 2024 at 12:15 AM Post #22,512 of 22,527
May 11, 2024 at 8:35 AM Post #22,514 of 22,527
Oh my god! Lmao, where were you a week ago! 🤣

Atleast I learned something new. And I probably got a safe branded battery that I know what it is (from LG, the Korean company).

@mbirand
But yeah it is almost plug in play. From that link, you need the one listed in the drop-down box as "PR-CU-R648 - JST-PH". That JST-PH plug is the 2pin ribbon plug.

Then you would need to pull out the red wire in the plastic part and swap it's position with the black one.

Here is a picture of the original protection unit of the Hugo2 original battery.
Notice the red wire is in a different position compared to the plug in the link above.
20240511_084043_remastered.jpg

Copy the plug in this picture 👆.
Should be as easy as lifting that plastic tab, and pulling out the positive red wire.

Oh and you'd still need thin double-sided tape to stick the new battery in place: iFixit Tesa 61395 Tape - 2 mm https://a.co/d/9JYi1tW

Last edited:
May 11, 2024 at 9:15 AM Post #22,515 of 22,527
Oh my god! Lmao, where were you a week ago! 🤣

Atleast I learned something new. And I probably got a safe branded battery that I know what it is (from LG, the Korean company).

@mbirand
But yeah it is almost plug in play. From that link, you need the one listed in the drop-down box as "PR-CU-R648 - JST-PH". That JST-PH plug is the 2pin ribbon plug.

Then you would need to pull out the red wire in the plastic part and swap it's position with the black one.

Here is a picture of the original protection unit of the Hugo2 original battery.
Notice the red wire is in a different position compared to the plug in the link above.
20240511_084043_remastered.jpg
Copy the plug in this picture 👆.
Should be as easy as lifting that plastic tab, and pulling out the positive red wire.

Oh and you'd still need thin double-sided tape to stick it in place: iFixit Tesa 61395 Tape - 2 mm https://a.co/d/9JYi1tW
thanks for making it complete for me. i dont have the need for a new battery yet but my iems are quite demanding and i sometimes need to charge H2 multiple times/day. at this rate, i dont think they’ll last too long.

these batteries are also approved to be shipped overseas, which is great.

thank you for sharing 🙏🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back