Lunashops cables on Aliexpress - AVOID LIKE THE PLAGUE
Mar 17, 2023 at 7:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

emdeevee

Headphoneus Supremus
For those hoping to score a good deal on Ali, beware of Lunashops, a cable purveyor who's got products that are blatantly defective and can cause a lot of expensive damage. While I had a good experience with one of their HD800S cables, I had the nightmare-of-nightmare experiences with their $100 replacement Sony IER-Z1R pure silver cable (https://www.aliexpress.us/item/2255...2BRyXCb&gatewayAdapt=glo2usa&_randl_shipto=US).

As you can see, they clearly advertise this cable to be compatible with the Sony mmcx connectors. Well, when I plugged these in, I did not realize that a couple of unplugs later, the cable's mmcx plug would get stuck in the IER so tightly, that I could not remove it. After minutes of working with it, I left it alone and came back to try again. Unfortunately, this time a little upward force and the cable unplugged, but in doing so, dislodged thin metal sheathes (that had covered the plugs) inside each of the Sony mmcx connectors. Thus, I found that no cable could plug in as the connectors had these tiny metal rings wedged all around the circumference of each socket. And they were stuck tight! I worked for an hour or so to try and gently remove them using a jewelers loupe and some jeweler tools, but no luck. I woke up the next day and tried again. This time, I found that using very small tension pliers I could get these metal rings to move, actually break, and finally come out of the IER-Z1R. Yay!!! NOT.

The Sony stopped working completely - in removing the metal sheathes, I must have ruined the mmcx connectors. I have sent them to a shop in the UK for repair ($200 USD - though just happy they're repairable).

Lunashops told me to send the cable back before they would issue a refund (I sent them pictures of everything). I used flat rate USPS, but the shipping cost $45 USD. I asked them to 1) refund for the cable; 2) refund for the return shipping cost; 3) pay for the repair to the Sony's. They only agreed to #1 and blamed me for "improper use" of the cable and connectors.

Now I've had plenty of experience changing cables :) Still, the Sony is notorious for being difficult in this regard, but I have successfully changed its cable many times before this occurred.

Long winded way of saying, stick with the tried and true cable makers and avoid Lunashops at all costs!! There are too many reputable alternatives to go through this (Penon, Linsoul, etc.). Lunashops - I truly wish I had never found or heard of them!!!

Including a pic of Sony with the metal sheathes from the end of the cable's plugs stuck inside:
20230218_100634.jpg

Last edited:
Mar 27, 2023 at 5:28 PM Post #3 of 12
Sorry for the time consuming costly situation. Sucks. Stating to avoid this and that (...) based on one experience isn't very fair or of great value to others though.
My point is that these guys would not stand behind their cable the way pros do, from Penon to Linsoul to EA. And it's not like this was a cheap cable. So, you have that. But the damaged caused to my $1700 iem would not have been brushed off by any of those cable sellers, and they would have removed the product from their catalog with such a known defect.

It was a hard lesson I'd like to spare others from.

Mar 29, 2023 at 2:56 AM Post #5 of 12
MMCX plugs are tricky to unplug in general, get this cheap tool, no comments on the cable brand you used.
Yeah, I was the dumb Guinea pig. Those plugs will leave a deposit of the wrong kind in your IER-Z1R sockets, stay away.

Apr 15, 2023 at 2:00 PM Post #7 of 12
I've heard this kind of thing from several people who bought stuff from that seller on aliexpress.

Apr 15, 2023 at 11:44 PM Post #9 of 12
My 4.4mm cable turned out fine. Nothing unusual. However I would not buy cables for high end gear from a relatively unknown shop.
4.4 for a Sony IER-Z1R? Be super careful if so.

May 3, 2023 at 3:26 AM Post #11 of 12
MMCX plugs are tricky to unplug in general, get this cheap tool, no comments on the cable brand you used.
That tool won't work for the Sony MMCX, they are recessed. That tool needs to get into the joint under the MMCX to push it up, and it can't do that with a Z1R, the joint is recessed down inside the IEM. It is actually possible to use most regular MMCX with the Z1R but you can't use that tool to help, either with regular MMCX or the stock cable. I have it, it's invaluable for other MMCX IEMs, but not the Z1R (or other Sony recessed MMCX IEMs).

May 3, 2023 at 3:32 AM Post #12 of 12
@emdeevee I think they should have replaced the cable without you sending it back, they have replaced cables for me and didn't require me to send it back.

Sucks with the Z1R but I'm not sure this can be entirely blamed on the cable, Z1Rs are known to do exactly this and they do it with the stock Sony cable as well. I think this is more on Sony and the construction of the IEM than the cable manufacturer.

https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-z1r-cable-defect-thread.957708/
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/n5akdi/purely_shoddy_sony_ierz1r_cables_this_has/
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/n53myn/beware_of_faulty_mmcx_connectors_on_the_sony/

You don't necessarily need to use a specific cable with it though, you can use most regular MMCX cables. The recess is large enough to take the whole plug. I have Xinhs on it (and the IER-M9, IER-M7 as well which have a similar recess). It's certainly an IEM I wouldn't swap the cables on much, I'd do it once carefully and leave it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back