NEW HiBy R4
May 9, 2024 at 5:57 PM Post #377 of 586
I am very close to pulling the trigger on the R4. Only real choice is green or orange? Looking to replace my older R3 that has some long-term wear and tear. Would use the R4 as my 'outdoor DAP'. Curious to see how it compares the R6iii (which I adore).

May 9, 2024 at 6:13 PM Post #379 of 586
If you've acquired a taste for the ZX300 (as I have), especially one with the MrWalkman firmware, then you probably won't find another DAP that sounds the same, or is better at what it does. It's unique.

Something like the R4, along side the equally affordable black knob version of the Tempotec Variations V6, with all their DSP flexibility (MSEB, Plug-ins, Parametric EQ, etc.), either will give you the best inexpensive entry into the Android world of streaming apps plus local file libraries. Without DSP they will sound much less warm than the Sony. Add MSEB settings, and they will get closer, perhaps close enough for you.

In any case these audiophile Android DAPs are very complementary to what the Sony has to offer.
I like the ZX300 for what is especially with the MrWalkman firmware. Pretty amazing DAP at a pretty good price (~$200) used. But I really miss not having PEQ or having Tidal on the app. Especially having PEQ is a cheatcode to fix peaks or up recessed freqs. And sometimes if you're feeling like a different sound you can switch EQ profiles and such. Also, having to transfer music files to the DAP and managing playlist on two places are really annoying. The ZX300 sound is fun and warm but changes the sound too much. I prefer a more neutral, balanced sound so that the natural IEM tuning curve comes out.

The only thing I'll miss is the portability and form factor. The ZX300 is so well built and designed. It's quite portable and compact. And the finish looks great and makes it feel like a very premium device. I still love it for getting me into audio stuff again but yea, its time to move on. Android DAPs are here to stay. Battery life are much better on the new DAPs too. That was the only major blocker for me moving towards them.

May 9, 2024 at 6:24 PM Post #380 of 586
from your memory, what the main difference between r4 & r6p2 soundwise?

still not sure to buy r4 or just goes to r6p2 to change my cayin ru7 for outside usage .... my impulse buying mind wants r6p2 but i only gonna use it maybe 2-3hrs a week, and most of time my listening session is at home with desktop setup (k9 pro)

tried r6p2 months ago & like it , and the secondhand market looks not bad at $400-450 ish
My only complaint about R4 is that with PCM content, the stage feels flat and 2D even with best classical recording and most “holographic” IEM in my collection. The severity of the effect depends on the IEM, but something harder to drive like Symphonium Meteor and TGXear Serratus seem to be impacted more. Such problem was not in my note when testing R6 P2.

Does it matter? Depends on you. I know some folks can’t hear / couldn’t careless about IEM stage, so R4 is probably the best bet. Some folks would EQ the problem away. In that case, the EQ and DSP of R4 can help.

If you don’t use the DAP a lot, I would just go with R4. Both R3II and R4 are “enough” in SQ, at least to me (meaning I do enjoy listen to them rather than forcing myself to listen to write the review article)

May 10, 2024 at 2:41 AM Post #382 of 586
So sound wise R4 and R3II are not far apart?

Sound quality is not (only) about what you get plugging your headphones into the unit out of the box. The R4 is a full-fledged member of the R Android family and as such enjoys use of the full formidable suite of audio adjustment / enhancement utilities / plugins available to the R Android family, including the MSEB tuning board, Sound field crosstalk cancellation, DRX10K dynamics enhancement, systemwide PEQ, convolution with your choice of binaural room impulse response... ... ...

I know some folks can’t hear / couldn’t careless about IEM stage, so R4 is probably the best bet.

Count me in among those who can't hear IEM stage (by default, without a binaural room impulse response applied, on regular stereo recordings)...

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 10, 2024 at 3:44 AM Post #383 of 586
So sound wise R4 and R3II are not far apart?

As Joe said.

But yeah, sound quality wise, they are close but with different tonal balance. I hear warm-tilted sound on R3II and flat on R4 (PCM). Of course, the warmth is only slightly, not exaggerated like some DAP and DAC/amp.

Count me in among those who can't hear IEM stage (by default, without a binaural room impulse response applied, on regular stereo recordings)...

I think IEM stage is almost always in-the-head, besides some weird IEMs with open vents, passive radiators or those vibrating ceramic plates that make sound outside the ear canal. For me, it’s more about the shape and structure of that stereo image within the head. Given the same IEM and same track, some sources compact everything to the center, some expands everything away from each other in all directions, some has more front to back, some has less. I personally find this aspect fascinating.

The R8ii is one of those DAP that pushes everything away from each other. It’s like the “room” in your head gets larger.

You sure you are not hiding DSP under the hood 😂

Edit: I think by stage, you are thinking about soundstage of 2 channel systems. Without DSP, I don’t think any headfi gear can sound like that 😂

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 3:47 AM Post #384 of 586
I think by stage, you are thinking about soundstage of 2 channel systems. Without DSP, I don’t think any headfi gear can sound like that 😂
I am indeed and I don't listen without DSP : )) (and of course such DSP is totally doable without much faffing around on the R Android series)

So to get a comparison impression of IEMs that roughly corresponds with what others are hearing, I need to obtain / create BRIRs that are tonally neutral / transparent. I have just that :)

Last edited:
HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
May 10, 2024 at 3:57 AM Post #385 of 586
I am indeed and I don't listen without DSP : ))

So to get a comparison impression of IEMs that roughly corresponds with what others are hearing, I need to obtain / create BRIRs that are tonally neutral / transparent. I have just that :)

D5D7AF75-72C9-4016-A88C-82E2244E290B.jpeg

Nevermind, I still need to finish your previous homework of setting up the impedance measurement rig

May 10, 2024 at 3:22 PM Post #387 of 586
The wait for audio gear is like one of the 12 labours of Hercules!

Who else is checking their order status multiple times per day?

Is it just me?
Let's see a show of hands... 👐

May 10, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #389 of 586
Same. I’ve never had a dap before. Curious if I’ll be able to tell a difference between it and my current setup with my iPhone + dongle
I've had an R3 and an R5 in the past.
I struggled with the R3's small screen, but the R5 was excellent, I loved it.
Then I went down the phone + dongle route. I've used a Hiby FD3 as my daily portable for quite some time, and with no complaints.
As well as a Hiby W3 Saber for bluetoothing.
But I've been wanting another DAP for a while, just because I would find myself getting distracted from the music because of all the other 'phone stuff' going on.... Looking back, I think a DAP liberates one from that constant barrage of digital chatter, and gives one the freedom to just sink into the music.
I guess I was just waiting for the right DAP to come along..... Something bold and aesthetically pleasing, that would give me the freedom to focus solely on what I love: music.
The R4 looks like a perfect fit for me.
Oh, and I'll finally get to try out Hiby's UAT.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back