Questyle CMA18 Portable DAC with Headphone Amplifier
May 8, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #361 of 390
Yes very!
But then that actually speaks against this theory of yours (beneath)?
Could also be that some people are far more sensitive to noise floor and also use very sensitive IEMs. In my case the darker background was obvious, and manifested in better separation, imaging, stage and transient response, none of which would be as notable if noise floor was a factor.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 2:15 PM Post #362 of 390
in the ru7 thread many users are reporting a clicking specially in between tracks. there it is said its normal for a 1bit device, which the cma18 clearly is not. What has been reported in the past though is that questile dongles have had a high proneness to wifi and bt waves. i dont know if it still is the case with the new iterations / products tho.
when noticing a hum, was it connected to a laptop/pc via usb? was the laptop running on batteries or a wall mount? could either be a bad usb connection or even a ground noise if the power supply of the pc isnt too great. does the hum get lower if you touch the questyle?
Source was an iPhone running on battery power. No microwaves or BT in use and I was using it in the same RF environment in which I did a side-by-side comparison with the Questyle M15i. Noise floor with the M15i was below my threshold of perception. Noise floor with CMA18 had both a hum and a very steady "click" at a cadence of around a click every 1.5 to 2 second. The click was a single isolated click each time, not a short burst of clicks as I have heard in the past with WiFi related noise. My guess is a systemic noise issue within my CMA18 unit, maybe a derivative of the clock circuit.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 2:57 PM Post #363 of 390
But then that actually speaks against this theory of yours (beneath)?
Either I'm not sensitive enough to amp noise, or my unit has none. Or both. In any case, the noise that others seem to experience is entirely absent for me, thankfully.

May 8, 2024 at 4:21 PM Post #364 of 390
I just got my unit yesterday. My Viking Ragnar has a slight, dark hiss on low gain. Not as loud as iFi Go Bar without IEMatch engaged, but it's there.

May 8, 2024 at 11:36 PM Post #365 of 390
Source was an iPhone running on battery power. No microwaves or BT in use and I was using it in the same RF environment in which I did a side-by-side comparison with the Questyle M15i. Noise floor with the M15i was below my threshold of perception. Noise floor with CMA18 had both a hum and a very steady "click" at a cadence of around a click every 1.5 to 2 second. The click was a single isolated click each time, not a short burst of clicks as I have heard in the past with WiFi related noise. My guess is a systemic noise issue within my CMA18 unit, maybe a derivative of the clock circuit.
Interesting, I had a similar experience with a Plenue R2 I owned. First noticed it during a gap before a hidden track, then realized it was there all the time. I timed it at 3.25 seconds, just a little click that was obscured by music but there to be heard in quiet passages.

May 9, 2024 at 12:38 AM Post #366 of 390
Interesting, I had a similar experience with a Plenue R2 I owned. First noticed it during a gap before a hidden track, then realized it was there all the time. I timed it at 3.25 seconds, just a little click that was obscured by music but there to be heard in quiet passages.
Yes, just like that!

I should also note that I do not think I am particularly sensitive to hiss/noise. I have significant hearing loss above 11khz and just a very slight tinnitus; noise has to be pretty prominent to get my notice. Sometimes it makes me wonder if I would have liked the same headphones when I was younger compared to now. That said, I couldn't afford then any of the audio equipment I have now. :wink:

May 9, 2024 at 2:15 AM Post #367 of 390
Yes, just like that!

I should also note that I do not think I am particularly sensitive to hiss/noise. I have significant hearing loss above 11khz and just a very slight tinnitus; noise has to be pretty prominent to get my notice. Sometimes it makes me wonder if I would have liked the same headphones when I was younger compared to now. That said, I couldn't afford then any of the audio equipment I have now. :wink:
I suspect you got a 🍋

May 10, 2024 at 4:40 PM Post #369 of 390
Hey guys, I've just published my review of the unexpectedly brilliant Questyle CMA18 Portable.
If you're interested in reading up on what I consider one of the frontrunners for portable product of the year, you'll find the full review here. Enjoy!
Great review as usual :100: ... but it was not unexpected, I told you so guys :wink: !
It's the greatest value for money for quite a long time, just stunning piece of gear ❤️‍🔥

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 4:51 PM Post #370 of 390
Great review as usual :100: ... but it was not unexpected, I told you so guys :wink: !
It's the greatest value for money for quite a long time, just stunning piece of gear ❤️‍🔥
Haha, you did tell us! Your love for it was what made me hunt it down in the first place. What do you make of all these reports of audible hiss David? I personally don't hear it, but maybe my IEMs (and ears) aren't sensitive enough?

May 12, 2024 at 6:26 PM Post #371 of 390
Yes, this would be very useful to get your feedback on this hiss (or not hiss) issue @davidmolliere 👍

May 13, 2024 at 1:49 PM Post #372 of 390
Yes, this would be very useful to get your feedback on this hiss (or not hiss) issue @davidmolliere 👍
I tested the highly sensitive Odin and Aur Neon Pro last night on high volume music paused and no hiss.

May 13, 2024 at 3:09 PM Post #374 of 390
Which version do you own guys ?
First or second version ?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back