Sennheiser HD800S vs. Sony MDR-Z1R
Dec 28, 2017 at 8:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

PointyFox

Headphoneus Supremus
I just compared the HD800S with the MDR-Z1R and thought I'd put my impressions here.

Soundstage:
Nearly a tie. The HD800S has slightly more separation and width. The Z1R has slightly more height. The Z1R's soundstage is exceptional for being a closed-backed headphone.

Transparency:
The HD800S is the clear winner, but it is open-backed while the Z1R is closed-backed. The Z1R still sounds much more transparent than the typical closed-backed headphone.

Bass:
Nearly a tie. Both have good impact. The Z1R goes deeper and hits a little harder, but the midbass is slightly exaggerated and has a little bleed into the mids.

Mids:
The HD800S is slightly better. The Z1R makes some vocals sound slightly recessed. It has a frequency response peak at around 3.2 kHz, though I could not pick up on this in music.

Highs:
The HD800S is better. The Z1R exhibits some roll-off, but the details are still there. The Z1R has another peak around 10 kHz, but this is barely audible even with pure tones.

Comfort:
I find the Z1R to be more comfortable. The pads are large and soft, while the HD800S has a hard pad that doesn't conform to the head at all. The HD800S is comfortable, it just isn't *as* comfortable.

Sound Isolation:
The Z1R wins this by a mile due to being closed-backed. Moderately loud songs can still be heard for several feet however.

Build Quality:
The Z1R wins this one. I always feel like I'm about to break the HD800S. The Z1R is nice and solid and I like the cord a lot more. The rubber cord is thinner and much easier to manage than the large, stiff, cloth cable on the HD800S. The only thing I can say negative about the Z1R is that the underside of the headband feels a bit thin and I expect this part to degrade the fastest.

Conclusion:
The HD800S is TOTL as far as sound quality goes. It does everything well and is one of the best open-backed headphones available.
The Z1R while not quite as good overall in sound quality has more bass extension and a little more impact, making for fuller and more intimate (warmer) sound. I prefer its cable and build quality.
If I could keep only one, I would keep the Z1R since it is closed-backed and has the sound isolation that the HD800S completely lacks, while maintaining quite a respectable overall sound quality and excellent soundstage that rivals the HD800S.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2017 at 4:39 AM Post #2 of 17
surprised you feel 800 is better but they are very good headphones. the z1r I would compare higher up the food chain like Utopia ans SR009. Sure, they sound different as does the 800. just decide what does what better overall. I do not personally think the Z1R is in the same class as the 800. Even though the 800 are plenty good headphones. yet, you found them to be better. maybe to some I buds are better I don't know. that is why I always tell people to listen. this is highly subjective. you had a lower end headphone come out on top. I do not know if their is bias or anything or what the back story is. I do not find them in the same league. Of course, being subjective it is entirely possible many would prefer the 900. it is a fine headphone and nothing wrong with liking it better. personal taste. I could not say you speak for everyone but by all means listen to what you enjoy. Do not let closed back fool you. Sony, somehow knows how to do it in a manner that is better than some of the best open back. it leaks bad anyways. I would not say open back is automatically totl but it often is. Used R10 is $10k+. Z1R is thought by many to be better than the R10. So, go figure.

Dec 31, 2017 at 11:18 PM Post #3 of 17
I just compared the HD800S with the MDR-Z1R and thought I'd put my impressions here.

Soundstage:
Nearly a tie. The HD800S has slightly more separation and width. The Z1R has slightly more height. The Z1R's soundstage is exceptional for being a closed-backed headphone.

Transparency:
The HD800S is the clear winner, but it is open-backed while the Z1R is closed-backed. The Z1R still sounds much more transparent than the typical closed-backed headphone.

Bass:
Nearly a tie. Both have good impact. The Z1R goes deeper and hits a little harder, but the midbass is slightly exaggerated and has a little bleed into the mids.

Mids:
The HD800S is slightly better. The Z1R makes some vocals sound slightly recessed. It has a frequency response peak at around 3.2 kHz, though I could not pick up on this in music.

Highs:
The HD800S is better. The Z1R exhibits some roll-off, but the details are still there. The Z1R has another peak around 10 kHz, but this is barely audible even with pure tones.

Comfort:
I find the Z1R to be more comfortable. The pads are large and soft, while the HD800S has a hard pad that doesn't conform to the head at all. The HD800S is comfortable, it just isn't *as* comfortable.

Sound Isolation:
The Z1R wins this by a mile due to being closed-backed. Moderately loud songs can still be heard for several feet however.

Build Quality:
The Z1R wins this one. I always feel like I'm about to break the HD800S. The Z1R is nice and solid and I like the cord a lot more. The rubber cord is thinner and much easier to manage than the large, stiff, cloth cable on the HD800S. The only thing I can say negative about the Z1R is that the underside of the headband feels a bit thin and I expect this part to degrade the fastest.

Conclusion:
The HD800S is TOTL as far as sound quality goes. It does everything well and is one of the best open-backed headphones available.
The Z1R while not quite as good overall in sound quality has more bass extension and a little more impact, making for fuller and more intimate (warmer) sound. I prefer its cable and build quality.
If I could keep only one, I would keep the Z1R since it is closed-backed and has the sound isolation that the HD800S completely lacks, while maintaining quite a respectable overall sound quality and excellent soundstage that rivals the HD800S.

I strongly suggest to try a balanced amp with HD800S. In my opinion, the balanced opens up HD800S a notch or two up.

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:15 PM Post #6 of 17
I didn't know BottleHead makes an amp with balanced headphone out. Perhaps you meant you tried it with balanced input cables?

Both. The Mainline has an unbalanced and a balanced output. I connected my HD800S with a balanced cable to the balanced output on the amplifier.

Jan 5, 2018 at 6:52 PM Post #7 of 17
Both. The Mainline has an unbalanced and a balanced output. I connected my HD800S with a balanced cable to the balanced output on the amplifier.
I haven't seen that amp personally. But, just going by the descriptions on BottleHead website, there is a chance Mainline has balanced terminals but not a balanced amp by design. There aren't many tube balanced amps by the way. Some have balanced input/output but those are just terminals/adapters. The true balanced amp has negative and positive phases for each channel (so two amps per channel) where one pushes the driver while the other pulls the driver just like a speaker amp does - which can create a better definition with cans like 300 ohm Sennheiser.

Aug 7, 2018 at 10:14 AM Post #8 of 17
I own both headsets and love them both. I find it very hard to compare them against each other since I feel they are the perfect pairing ... since they are so different. In short, I love the HD800S for certain types of music, and it blows the Sony out of the water when listening to classical music. The soundstage is so much better, and the ability to resolve each instrument is phenomenal. The Senni sucks at Rock/Metal, however. And this is where the Sony really shine ... any sort of electric guitar will sound spectacular, and make you discover nuances you have never heard before. Other differences include: (obviously) open vs closed back and their associated characteristics; hold-back bass not being dominant (HD800S) vs feelable bass response with a punch (Sony), very much on the bright side (HD800S) vs on the dark side (Sony), modern industrial design vs classical headphone materials.

As said, for me not two headsets to compare but each hold the top on their own in their space. Headphone endgame for me (with some aftermarket cables for aesthetics and comfort).

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2018 at 10:51 AM Post #10 of 17
Hello! I listened to both, but I liked the z1r more
But tell me, please, which amplifier will better reveal the potential of z1r? I just listened brand TA but maybe there is something better?

Well, I use it with the Hugo2 which has a decent built-in amp. The Sony Z1R is rather easy to drive, so I personally think the DAC matters more than the amplifier.
But I hope to get an ICan Pro soon, then I can better comment.

Dec 17, 2018 at 11:07 AM Post #11 of 17
Well, I use it with the Hugo2 which has a decent built-in amp. The Sony Z1R is rather easy to drive, so I personally think the DAC matters more than the amplifier.
But I hope to get an ICan Pro soon, then I can better comment.
Thank you! But tell me, please, maybe you listened it with sony ta-zh1es or schiit yggdrasil? I'm comparing sony ta-zh1es VS hugo2 VS schiit yggdrasil VS something else

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:47 PM Post #12 of 17
I have and HD800 and recently got a pair of Z1R.

With TrueFi enabled for HD800 (which has a truly impressive effect on bass and on taming the highs) the sound is quite similar but I prefer the HD800, because it's more comfortable and has a larger sound stage, although the bass on Sony is a bit better. Without TrueFi the HD800 is clearly brighter (more fatiguing) and of course has less bass so it comes 2nd compared with Sony's more neutral sound signature which is still as detailed as Sennheiser's.

Bottom line: I keep the Sennheiser at home, paired with a Woo Wa7 with tube power source, connected to the computer, with TrueFi enabled. The Sony stays in the office paired with a Fiio X5iii (updated to Fidelizer ROM) which does a suprisingly good job for an all in one device.

Dec 21, 2018 at 4:59 PM Post #13 of 17
I don't think you could have picked more different headphones to compare. Yeah, an open TOTL Senn is going to differ from a closed & bassy Sony. Thanks for the work anyhoo.

Dec 22, 2018 at 2:30 AM Post #15 of 17
I did not start the conversation, but for me it makes sense.

I arrived at Z1R when searching fore the closed equivalent of the HD800, to use in the office (after HD820 did not deliver).

Of course it is a closed back and there are many differences. However the sound stage is reasonably large and it preserves the details. Two things that I love on the HD800 and what I was looking for in the close equivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back