SONY NW-WM1Z M2 / WM1A M2
May 9, 2024 at 9:22 PM Post #15,631 of 15,696
Can someone confirm to me if the WM1AM2 being sold in the USA has high gain? I intend to buy one from Best Buy but I was not sure if it had this European imitations or not.
Signature series Walkman has high gain in US market.

May 10, 2024 at 12:02 AM Post #15,632 of 15,696
Can someone confirm to me if the WM1AM2 being sold in the USA has high gain? I intend to buy one from Best Buy but I was not sure if it had this European imitations or not.
Just add this to your watch list and wait a couple of days. They will hit you with an offer for $799, then buy it.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/314196756667
It's basically brand new without the retail box. I think these are official warranty replacement units, that they're unloading.

May 10, 2024 at 12:35 AM Post #15,633 of 15,696
I think signature series are not volume capped.

This combo just sounds damn incredible! 😍
IMG_20240510_122215.jpg

May 10, 2024 at 4:56 AM Post #15,634 of 15,696
WM1A/Zm2 - volume capped in EU only. No volume cap in any other country.
ZX700/A300 - volume capped in EU, CAN, US, Singapore

May 10, 2024 at 10:22 AM Post #15,636 of 15,696
Friends,

for almost the same price (maybe €100 difference) which of these 2 would you get and WHY?

Sony NW-WM1AM2 Uncapped version
X
Cayin N7 .

I posted this same question in both threads to get mixed opinions.
Important information: I will not play DSD. Only PCM and stream regularly to discover new artists and albums to add to the collection.

May 10, 2024 at 12:02 PM Post #15,637 of 15,696
Friends,

for almost the same price (maybe €100 difference) which of these 2 would you get and WHY?

X
Cayin N7 .

Important information: I will not play DSD. Only PCM and stream regularly to discover new artists and albums to add to the collection.
If you post in this thread you will likely get votes for the Sony, if you post in the Cayin thread, you will get votes for the N7..

They're all fantastic players. Just go for the one that calls out to you. You need to enjoying holding it, playing with it, looking at it to better enjoy the music too~

May 10, 2024 at 12:16 PM Post #15,638 of 15,696
If you post in this thread you will likely get votes for the Sony, if you post in the Cayin thread, you will get votes for the N7..

They're all fantastic players. Just go for the one that calls out to you. You need to enjoying holding it, playing with it, looking at it to better enjoy the music too~
I know there will be bias bias in the specific thread. I thought about collecting information from users about why they chose the DAP in question.

May 10, 2024 at 12:23 PM Post #15,639 of 15,696
I know there will be bias bias in the specific thread. I thought about collecting information from users about why they chose the DAP in question.
1000 pages to read haha...

Mostly it's us owners trying to justify the purchase. Everyone defends their choices. At that point in time, I felt that the Sony sounded better than the 300Max, so i bought the walkman and sold the iBasso. Then because i started on headphones, i bought the 320MaxTi, but kept the Sony.

I love how it looks and feels in the hand. And of course, I do enjoy the sound it produces as well. I might pick up a proper R2R player at some point as well, so i can have various sonic signatures to play around and match with. But then again, I'm happy enough with the Sony 90% of the time for my use case - which are mainly IEMs, and the occasional headphone use such as the Liric 1 and ES-R10, which are both driven better on the Walkman than on the more powerful 320MaxTi.

May 10, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #15,640 of 15,696

Friends,

X
Cayin N7 .

I only tried Cayin N7 in CanJam last year and didn’t like it Tbh. I didn’t like RU-6 as well and everyone in Head-fi loves it so what do I know? However in my short demo I felt not enough details were coming thru but since it was a demo in show condition so I should refrain from making comments on SQ.
However Sony has much better battery life with local playback and Cayin doesn’t stand anywhere near it as far as battery life for local playback goes.

May 10, 2024 at 12:32 PM Post #15,641 of 15,696
I actually like that Sony's product refresh cycle is longer than Chi-Fi... Buy a Sony every 3-5 years and stay current...

May 10, 2024 at 3:32 PM Post #15,642 of 15,696
1000 pages to read haha...

Mostly it's us owners trying to justify the purchase. Everyone defends their choices. At that point in time, I felt that the Sony sounded better than the 300Max, so i bought the walkman and sold the iBasso. Then because i started on headphones, i bought the 320MaxTi, but kept the Sony.

I love how it looks and feels in the hand. And of course, I do enjoy the sound it produces as well. I might pick up a proper R2R player at some point as well, so i can have various sonic signatures to play around and match with. But then again, I'm happy enough with the Sony 90% of the time for my use case - which are mainly IEMs, and the occasional headphone use such as the Liric 1 and ES-R10, which are both driven better on the Walkman than on the more powerful 320MaxTi.
I only tried Cayin N7 in CanJam last year and didn’t like it Tbh. I didn’t like RU-6 as well and everyone in Head-fi loves it so what do I know? However in my short demo I felt not enough details were coming thru but since it was a demo in show condition so I should refrain from making comments on SQ.
However Sony has much better battery life with local playback and Cayin doesn’t stand anywhere near it as far as battery life for local playback goes.
I actually like that Sony's product refresh cycle is longer than Chi-Fi... Buy a Sony every 3-5 years and stay current...
Thank you friends!!
Your answer will help me make a better decision.
I almost managed to buy a Sony last week, but unfortunately I couldn't. Meanwhile, an N7 appeared on sale for me... but it's still not that cheap. I've been thinking a lot about what to do...
Maybe I have to make more use of what I already have... good dongles... the DC-Elite is a great dongle... I also like the Gold Bar... and I still have a DX300 that is working very well... very responsive and on battery Still very good... the desire to keep buying and changing products often makes us forget the main thing in this hobby, which is enjoying music!!
These headfi threads can be a risk for our wallet.. 😂

May 10, 2024 at 3:39 PM Post #15,643 of 15,696
Friends,

X
Cayin N7 .

I can't answer your question about the N7, but can share some maybe related experiences, and personal preferences.

I have used Sony since the ZX2, followed by WM1A, WM1Z. About 2 1/2 years ago, I decided to try some of the other DAPs that were so well regarded, and especially R2R players.
I bought the Cayin N6ii Ti, Hiby RS6, RS2, Hifiman R2R2000 Red, HM1000, HM901R, and others.

Sold them all and came back to the Sony WM1Am2, ZX707, A306
(Also dongles RU6, RU7, Questyle M15, L&P W2, W4EX)

So my biased opinion to your question would be to get the WM1Am2.
Why?

The Sony engineering, battery life, robust and easy to use UI
But most importantly, the sound.

I find the Sony produces music that is not the most analytical, or super detailed, but it is musical. I listen, and enjoy, and find myself pulled into the music. Other players, I would enjoy, but none had the immersive factor of the Sony. The Sony is a player that you need to live with for awhile to appreciate. Because it is NOT flashy, or super detailed/dynamic. You could almost say that it has a bland personality. But then, that is what I want, the ability to reproduce music, not to have a personality, other than being competent, and able to let the music come through.

And for me, there is an added bonus, from all the time I spent with the WM1Z. I can do simple mods on the internal headphone wires, bypass the output relays, and make the signal path that much simpler, and the sound better, even more transparent.

So, this is one subjective opinion.

Last edited:
May 10, 2024 at 8:23 PM Post #15,644 of 15,696
Thank you friends!!
Your answer will help me make a better decision.
I almost managed to buy a Sony last week, but unfortunately I couldn't. Meanwhile, an N7 appeared on sale for me... but it's still not that cheap. I've been thinking a lot about what to do...
Maybe I have to make more use of what I already have... good dongles... the DC-Elite is a great dongle... I also like the Gold Bar... and I still have a DX300 that is working very well... very responsive and on battery Still very good... the desire to keep buying and changing products often makes us forget the main thing in this hobby, which is enjoying music!!
These headfi threads can be a risk for our wallet.. 😂
I had Gold bar before I got the 1ZM2 and 1Z was a significant upgrade over gold bar which in itself is one of the best dongle available. I did prepare notes when I compared the two but can’t find it.

May 10, 2024 at 8:37 PM Post #15,645 of 15,696
I was listening to the Gold Bar right now. It's a great dongle!! one of the best I have. But certainly the convenience and, often, the sound quality of a good DAP have to be considered. 👍🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back