The discovery thread!
May 20, 2024 at 1:18 AM Post #102,226 of 104,173
HipDAC is always lurking on my list. The xDSD Gryphon is at the top but I often consider springing for the HD 3 as an interim solution for full sized phones.

Don't sleep on the iDSD Signature either when on sale, an absolute killer.

May 20, 2024 at 1:25 AM Post #102,227 of 104,173
Don't sleep on the iDSD Signature either when on sale, an absolute killer.
Exactly this. I got mine for $299, an incredible value!
Purchase LINK.
Also would mention that a used Mojo can be had for $100 to $150.
And I also 2nd both the Cayin RU7 and Hiby FC6.
Lastly, a used LG V50 or V60 on ebay goes for ~$150.
All good options, IMO.

I'm kind of a psycho nerd and own all of these mentioned.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 2:03 AM Post #102,228 of 104,173
Exactly this. I got mine for $299, an incredible value!
Purchase LINK.
Also would mention that a used Mojo can be had for $100 to $150.
And I also 2nd recommending both the Cayin RU7 and Hiby FC6.
And lastly, a used LG V50 or V60 on ebay goes for ~$150.
All good options.

I'm kind of a psycho nerd and own all of these mentioned.
Wow that does sound a great deal. Idsd, signature one. 450 dollars off.

Does this one have the xbass feature?

Have and love the fc6. And got rid of other dacs apart from ibasso dc03 pro for CSdac sound.

Never heard these burr brown dacs. How do they sound?

And will they be too much for iems and more suitable for headphones?

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 2:20 AM Post #102,229 of 104,173
Wow that does sound a great deal. Idsd, signature one. 450 dollars off.

Does this one have the xbass feature?

Have and love the fc6. And got rid of other dacs apart from ibasso dc03 pro for since CSdac sound.

Never heard these burr brown dacs. How do they sound?

And will they be too much for iems and more suitable for headphones?
It does indeed have XBass.
I am not great at describing DAC sound signatures, but I'd say that it's smooth and organic sounding. Decently detailed but more musical than analytical.
The iDSD Signature might be a bit much for really sensitive IEMs in normal operation, but it has IEMatch built in so can be adjusted to run basically anything by changing impedance.
Only downside is that she's a Chonky girl.
Definitely NOT pocketable....

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 2:27 AM Post #102,230 of 104,173
It does indeed have XBass.
I am not great at describing DAC sound signatures, but I'd say that it's smooth and organic sounding. Decently detailed but more musical than analytical.
The iDSD Signature might be a bit much for really sensitive IEMs in normal operation, but it has ieMatch built in so can be adjusted to run basically anything by changing impedance.
Only downside is that she's a Chonky girl.
Definitely NOT pocketable....

True, at that size I wish it worked like a DAP too, streaming stuff.

As things stand, I have more or less stopped using dacs and run iems straight off hibyM300 nifty lil dap.

May 20, 2024 at 2:32 AM Post #102,231 of 104,173
True, at that size I wish it worked like a DAP too, streaming stuff.

As things stand, I have more or less stopped using dacs and run iems straight off hibyM300 nifty lil dap.
TBH, I am using my Hiby R6 Pro II for 99% of my portable listening these days.
It sounds great and can do everything I need it to.
The battery life is awful, but it fits my requirements of listening for 2 to 3 hours total throughout my work day.
And I knew about that going in, obviously.
Still, I am really curious to hear the R8 II, but it is essentially 3x the price which is tough to rationalize.

May 20, 2024 at 3:05 AM Post #102,232 of 104,173
Pulled out the CCA Trio once more, as it's been awhile since I truly gave them any play, due to the TRN ST7, CCA Polaris, and Simgot EA500LM.

Diving into the blues n roll of Slash - Orgy of the Damned. This thing has more fun bass than I remember. Excellent mids. Guitars are so clear and voices got the right amount of warmth.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 3:28 AM Post #102,233 of 104,173
Pulled out the CCA Trio once more, as it's been awhile since I truly gave them any play, due to the TRN ST7, CCA Polaris, and Simgot EA500LM.

Diving into the blues n roll of Slash - Orgy of the Damned. This thing has more sun bass than I remember. Excellent mids. Guitars are so clear and voices got the right amount of warmth.
How’s the Polaris stacking up? Gonna try mine out tonight.

May 20, 2024 at 3:43 AM Post #102,234 of 104,173

Diving into the blues n roll of Slash - Orgy of the Damned. This thing has more sun bass than I remember. Excellent mids. Guitars are so clear and voices got the right amount of warmth.
I've listened to both Rhapsody and Trio. Trio has a more spacious sound, but not much difference. 🤔 It'd be interesting to hear what other experts think.

May 20, 2024 at 4:07 AM Post #102,235 of 104,173
I'm probably looking to spend up to $250, and I'm mainly concerned with sound and Bluetooth (size as well for non Bluetooth devices)

Would you mind suggesting a couple of decent BT devices, and non NY devices in that price range?

FiiO BTR7 no doubt, IMHO

The Fiio BTR17 is slated to come out in September? Might be worth the wait if you can?
Although I see people recommended a lot of other great stuff as well. I use the BTR15 myself and I just love the form factor, I use it hanging around my neck on a cord when at work. I feel the sound quality is very good but my ears may not be good enough to pick up the difference either, besides at work I don't listen very critically to begin with. Just need good enough quality that I don't get annoyed.
Edit: PXL_20240520_081140000.jpg
I usually wear it below the shirt. It is a great option for me. Obviously I only do this with cheap stuff since it isn't protected at all. So far the Artti T10 in combination with the short IvipQ cable is perfect for it.

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:23 AM Post #102,236 of 104,173
I've listened to both Rhapsody and Trio. Trio has a more spacious sound, but not much difference. 🤔 It'd be interesting to hear what other experts think.
was actually listening to the same album when I read this. But was using BQEYZ Wind.
Swapped over to the Trio.
Massive difference.
Trio drivers can't cope with the speed of some of these tracks. Bass seemed bloated, undefined and lacking impact compared to the Wind and guitars sounded unnatural.
I'm not a hater of the Trio, I think that they are well tuned (although perhaps with a tad to much 3khz gain for my preference) and have excellent sepration and imagining for the price.

Edit: FYI, album referirng to - Slash - Orgy of the Damned

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:39 AM Post #102,239 of 104,173
The Fiio BTR17 is slated to come out in September? Might be worth the wait if you can?
Although I see people recommended a lot of other great stuff as well. I use the BTR15 myself and I just love the form factor, I use it hanging around my neck on a cord when at work. I feel the sound quality is very good but my ears may not be good enough to pick up the difference either, besides at work I don't listen very critically to begin with. Just need good enough quality that I don't get annoyed.
Edit:
I usually wear it below the shirt. It is a great option for me. Obviously I only do this with cheap stuff since it isn't protected at all. So far the Artti T10 in combination with the short IvipQ cable is perfect for it.
i kinda work in more office setting so i mostly wear shirt with front pocket, so i used it to place my BTR5.
or i just put it in my pants pocket.

1. BTR17 (successor to BTR7)
It is expected to be released in the autumn or winter. The BTR17 will undergo significant changes in appearance and will incorporate the latest Bluetooth technologies such as aptX Lossless Bluetooth codec. As for the NearLink technology, which many domestic consumers are concerned about, it cannot be integrated for now due to the unavailability of related chips and solutions. However, its size and other performance won't differ significantly from the BTR7.
Per Fiio thread,
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fiio-2024-new-product-schedule-from-fiio-james.971426/

Last edited:
May 20, 2024 at 4:45 AM Post #102,240 of 104,173
My first CCA iem the Hydro paired with the GEN 2 iPod got to say I'm impressed with this iem

Attachments

• 20240520_085552.jpg
    20240520_085552.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back