The SMSL PL200 MQA-CD Player - Now Available on Apos Audio
Oct 24, 2023 at 10:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13
Hi all,

Here’s another exciting CD player launch we’d like to share with everyone. Meet the SMSL PL200 MQA-CD Player. By combining top-tier technologies like the P.A.S.S Precision Access Servo System with multiple input/output options, this audio player offers flawless CD playback, high-fidelity Bluetooth streaming, and the option to serve as a high-quality USB DAC. Your music is rendered with minimal distortion, thanks to the built-in AKM AK4499EX D/A chip providing a THD+N of 0.00006%.

Product highlights 
  • P.A.S.S. Precision Access Servo System for fast and precise reading
  • Support for MQA-CDs, Bluetooth 5.1, and USB DAC functionality
  • Flagship AKM AK4499EX D/A chip
  • Multiple input and output options including XLR balanced line out
  • High-quality construction with full aluminum alloy housing
  • Open cover playback mode for a turntable-like listening experience
  • Piano key button design for tactile engagement
  • Tempered glass with IPS LCD for a high-grade display

Here's the link to the blog for more info: https://apos.audio/blogs/news/meet-the-smsl-pl200-mqa-cd-player

SMSL PL200 MQA-CD Player.jpg

Last edited:
Apos Audio Free Shipping, Lowest Price Guarantee, Apos 2nd Year Warranty and 45-Day Return Policy on all carried products. Check out Apos Ensembles, Apos Specials, and Apos Certified products. Stay updated on Apos Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/aposaudio https://www.instagram.com/aposaudio/ https://apos.audio/ contact@apos.audio
Oct 25, 2023 at 6:24 PM Post #3 of 13
Will there be one in black?
Hi there,

Thanks for your interest in the product. Currently, there is only one variant that is available. We will let everybody know in case a black variant is to be released.

Apos Audio Free Shipping, Lowest Price Guarantee, Apos 2nd Year Warranty and 45-Day Return Policy on all carried products. Check out Apos Ensembles, Apos Specials, and Apos Certified products. Stay updated on Apos Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/aposaudio https://www.instagram.com/aposaudio/ https://apos.audio/ contact@apos.audio
Oct 26, 2023 at 9:45 AM Post #5 of 13
Why does none of these new generations of cd players have sacd playback support. The hardware is mostly there, would just need to put in a red laser instead of infrared.
Having native SACD playback in these would be a killer feature.
If not mistaken it's owned by Gus Skinas now and not Sony, perhaps a deal could be made.

Oct 29, 2023 at 11:52 AM Post #7 of 13
Really would have loved if the "MQA" was left out of this product, so you did not have to pay license for it, and the player would have been a bit cheaper.
MQA is on the way out, please stop making customers pay for this dying feature.
Otherwise, it's a great looking product in terms of features and something I'm genuinely interested in.

Nov 26, 2023 at 2:38 PM Post #8 of 13
Why does none of these new generations of cd players have sacd playback support. The hardware is mostly there, would just need to put in a red laser instead of infrared.
Having native SACD playback in these would be a killer feature.
If not mistaken it's owned by Gus Skinas now and not Sony, perhaps a deal could be made.
You can't have a sacd-player with digital out. That would make it impossible to use as a standalone cd-transport. Something that a lot of music lovers are looking for. An affordable, good quality cd-drive. Preferably no problematic slot-in or tray that is bound to malfunction.

Since SACD is using DSD it is master quality. Sony won't allow this due to copyright. It would make it too easy for their highly valuable music catalogue to be pirated.

Nov 26, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #9 of 13

Here is the first review. Thabamar is very positive about it! No surprise to me because of the well thought out features. And it looks great too. It's the new 400 line look. Personally I think it would look better with a flat front (without the circular indents, but maybe that looks a bit boring).

Very attractive cd-player for a price that gives most high-end players a run for their money. (Jays, Pro-ject, Nuprime etc).

Dec 30, 2023 at 6:50 AM Post #10 of 13
Consider me very interested but… how is SMSL gear related to reliability issues?
Are they robust and long lasting products or tend to be problematic?
This type of components are packed with technology in a tiny box, that I am just trying prevent a service nightmare in a couple of years…

Not: my 20+ years Parasound B/CD2000 CD transport (CEC belt drive) is still going strong, and completely serviceable all the way :)

Dec 30, 2023 at 8:53 AM Post #11 of 13
Consider me very interested but… how is SMSL gear related to reliability issues?
Are they robust and long lasting products or tend to be problematic?
This type of components are packed with technology in a tiny box, that I am just trying prevent a service nightmare in a couple of years…

Not: my 20+ years Parasound B/CD2000 CD transport (CEC belt drive) is still going strong, and completely serviceable all the way :)
Consider yourself lucky. I've had a completely different experience with cd-players. Plus I've never been happy with the sound quality.

I never had problems with SMSL gear. Unlike other brands. The only thing I can think of was the 400 amp that had problems with overheating with the first batch. A big amp in a closed case without external finns. Mine works fine (great sound and incredibly powerful) only the tiny fan bothers me. I leave my hp-amp on often as a pre-amp and no problems just great sound. Digital player with dac no problem so far. All the same series 400.

This cd-player is made simple and sturdy with longevity in mind. How it will turn out only time will tell. Iirc (pls check) the laser can be changed without much problems. The dac part won't be a problem and for sure will beat any old dac or cd-player for sound quality. There's been a lot of progress made in that regard over the last decade(s).

Dec 30, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #12 of 13
Consider yourself lucky. I've had a completely different experience with cd-players. Plus I've never been happy with the sound quality.

I never had problems with SMSL gear. Unlike other brands. The only thing I can think of was the 400 amp that had problems with overheating with the first batch. A big amp in a closed case without external finns. Mine works fine (great sound and incredibly powerful) only the tiny fan bothers me. I leave my hp-amp on often as a pre-amp and no problems just great sound. Digital player with dac no problem so far. All the same series 400.

This cd-player is made simple and sturdy with longevity in mind. How it will turn out only time will tell. Iirc (pls check) the laser can be changed without much problems. The dac part won't be a problem and for sure will beat any old dac or cd-player for sound quality. There's been a lot of progress made in that regard over the last decade(s).
Thank you for your input.
Yes, I am one of those convinced CD users with a huge collection.
Maybe because I don’t listen to pop music, don’t use headphones and have a carefully set-up in a dedicated listening room, I manage to like the sound of CD very much. Of course there are always great music and poor quality recordings but other formats still can’t help those situations.

I have never used of even had any contact with an SMSL product but read dozens of positive reviews through the years. My concern is about the CD drive duration and repair possibility. But I guess only time will tell.

Dec 30, 2023 at 1:06 PM Post #13 of 13
Thank you for your input.
Yes, I am one of those convinced CD users with a huge collection.
Maybe because I don’t listen to pop music, don’t use headphones and have a carefully set-up in a dedicated listening room, I manage to like the sound of CD very much. Of course there are always great music and poor quality recordings but other formats still can’t help those situations.

I have never used of even had any contact with an SMSL product but read dozens of positive reviews through the years. My concern is about the CD drive duration and repair possibility. But I guess only time will tell.
Very much my situation. But my lp collection beats my cd collection by far. And I listen to bot classical and rock, or pop. Just not the mindless fluff the music industry keeps producing. I lost interest in music listening in the late nineties mainly due to the lack of involvement of CD quality music. I started listening to digital on the computer with headphones while I was busy on it. That's how cd's lost my interest. Plus broken drives. I rather listen to LP. But for classical, cd does have an advantage.

Last year I bought a Rose streamer that can play all my files and can rip cd's from a cheap $20 USB drive. Very noisy, for 5 minutes and then the cd is surplus. Also I prefer high definition material (>96kHz).

However... the PL200 does pique my interest. It has the quality I never had plus a tactile experience that streaming lacks. Streaming induces 'zapping'. Not attentive listening with a long attention span.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back